Thursday, May 19, 2011

i hate holding hands.

always have.

it's uncomfortable and my hands sweat.

it also hurts my finger bones and restricts my hand/arm/finger freedom, which is torture for a compulsive finger-fiddler and clothing-adjuster such as myself.

the only real purpose for hand-holding that I've seen is that it keeps me from accidentally turbo-walking 20 paces in front of Dan. because I am a very fast walker, while he is of the more relaxed (re: infuriatingly slow) variety of walker. and even then my hands get sweaty after 30 seconds and I proceed to leave him in my turbo-walking dust.

I honestly think only people in new relationships hold hands. It's like a validation thing. a statement: "I'm with this person and wish to be touching them at all times". which is great and all. but after a while you just say to each other (or at least I do): "hey, can we please abandon this ridiculous practice now? i love you, you love me. we needn't be connected uncomfortably by the hands right now. i'm sweaty."

it's a beautiful milestone in a relationship, I think, when you're comfortable keeping your hands to yourself (at least when it comes to holding =P)

5 comments:

  1. Jess,

    First off, love the idea behind your blog. I am trying to do something along the same lines with mine, lots of naturalist writing and I came across your piece because I was just writing about mycelium.

    Anyways, I have to contest this post though with anecdotal evidence. When I was in Australia, I came across an elderly couple while camping near the mouth of the Murray River. They had not only been together for 70 years (they married at 16) but they have road tripped across America twice and Australia (which is just a big geographically) three times. They were on their fourth outing. Anyways, they sat next to each other, drinking their wine by the campfire, and they held each other's hands the whole night I talked with them. I say this is probably the exception to the rule, but I though it a story worth sharing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! Ha-ha, this post made me laugh. It's brave to come out as a none-hold-hander. Good for you! I sometimes try to hold hands with my partner. But we've been together for ten years and he gets itchy from holding hands. So we walk side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I live in the Northern part of Norway, in a city called Tromsø. I've come out as a non-baker myself. I hate baking. It makes me aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @theboxcardrop

    Ooh, how cool how you happened to come across my blog! I always wonder how that works, hahaha

    That's a really cute story :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @arcticmum

    Thank you so much for stopping by & commenting! (and for your support in the whole anti-hand-holding thing hahaha ;) )

    I just LOVE your blog, especially the posts about Polar Winter. Fascinating!

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete