Thursday, October 15, 2009

Easy Vegan Choco-Banana-oatmeal muffins & a borscht variation ♥ plus baby peppers and baby raccoons!






Happy continued Vegan MoFo to you all! Here are a few things I made today.


Veggie, Root Veggie & Chickpea soup (aka A Borscht Kinda Thing)!




















(I apologize for the god-awful photography. My camera screen is broken, so I can't view the pictures I've taken until I plug the camera into my computer. It's...a pain. lol.)

1/2 a large white or yellow onion (you could use a whole one, I just had a half :P)
1 pkg. (2-3 cups) vegetable broth (I used campbell's organic)
1/4 cup white wine (cooking wine or regular. I used cooking)
As much garlic as you want (I used like half a head, lol)
1 540mL can chick peas/garbanzo beans
1 796mL can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 680g bag mini red potatoes
2 large carrots
2 zucchinis
3 medium-large beets, including as much of the greens as possible (sidenote: raw beets are DELICIOUS. I almost reconsidered using them in the soup and just snacking on them. they're so much less beety than cooked beets, if that makes sense :P and speaking of Raw Beets ;) just thought I'd throw that in there)
1 container button mushrooms
1 each red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers


1. Dice onion and saute with olive oil, salt and pepper. When softened, add garlic, stir for a few moments, then add wine. Continue to saute about 30 seconds, then add tomatoes and broth.
2. Add bay leaves and bring to a boil. Chop up your veggies to whatever size you want, keeping them as uniform in size as possible. When the soup comes to a boil, add the potatoes. You can either add the beets (not including greens) now or wait. I like to wait because I prefer them not fully cooked.
3. When potatoes are half-cooked, add beets.
4. Add chick peas and zucchini. Wait a few minutes then add everything else besides the beet greens and cook until desired "doneness" is reached. I like my veggies half-raw and crunchy so I only cooked them for 5 minutes or so. Add greens in last minute of cooking.
Enjoy!


Easy Vegan Choco-Banana-Oatmeal Muffins!!
Like the inside of my oven? Refer to disclaimer below previous picture :P



1 box oatmeal muffin mix (I used PC (a canadian brand) organic because the mix itself doesn't contain milk ingredients or egg)
1 Large overripe banana
1 tbsp flax meal or ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp warm water and left to sit 10 mins or so (to replace the egg)
1/2 cup (eye it. use more or less depending on your taste.) semi-sweet chocolate chips (such as PC's 'The Decadent' chips. yes, they're vegan! mm-mmm. Thanks to Lindsay Hutton over at Gone Vegan for that little tipsky)
2 tbsp oil or apple sauce (I used apple sauce)
1 scant (short) cup water. The recipe calls for 1 cup but I kept it short because of the extra moisture I added with the banana.

1. Mash the banana
2. Add dry muffin mix and chocolate chips. Coat the chips in powder, that way they won't sink to the bottom of the batter.
3. Add flax mixture, apple sauce and water. Mix until combined.
4. Follow the cooking instructions on the box and enjoy! These are ridiculicious. I've eaten 2 since I started writing this =P


Here are a couple more pictures I'm too lazy to write a whole blog entry for :)



















The smallest green bell pepper in existence =P
I plucked it just before the plant died. It wasn't getting any bigger.

It was delicious. Very flavourful :)




















A young raccoon that found its way onto our property today. My GSP (German Shepherd Puppy :P) is still out there barking at it up in this tree as we speak. Poor little guy :(

Anyway, Happy Thursday! Hope you're having a scrumptious-vegan-food-packed day, I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment