Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Roasted Squash and BSPCPS!!!






Happy Wednesday!

Today I made Broccoli, Spinach, Potato and Chick Pea soup! (or BSPCPS, for short). It started out as a variation of the Broccoli & Arugula soup I posted about at the beginning of the month - the variation being that I was going to simply substitute the arugula for spinach.

I then decided that I'd add some potatoes (canned) to add a little extra creaminess and hopefully taste something like Caldo Verde, a Portuguese potato & kale soup that I absolutely adore.

Then, thinking of my Dad and his obsession with "a protein" - "this needs a protein" "is there a protein in this?" - I chucked a can of chick peas in as well. :)

Here is the basic recipe, keep in mind everything is an estimation and this is one of those "just throw everything together and see what happens" recipes, which is why I love it :)


1 container vegetable stock (I used campbell's organic)
3 or 4 tbsp olive oil
2 large canfuls of water
1 can whole white potatoes
1 can chick peas
1 head broccoli (leaves included)
3 or 4 large handfuls baby spinach (could substitue regular spinach or any leafy green)
I also threw in about 1/3 of a cup of chopped up green and yellow peppers, because they were sitting in my fridge.
1 bay leaf
1 tsp or so of ground oregano
1/2 a head of garlic, peeled and chopped in half
1 green onion
dash of salt
few grinds of pepper

1. Put first 3 ingredients together in a pot along with oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil then add garlic. Boil another minute then add potatoes and chick peas.
3. Cook until heated through, then add broccoli & peppers.
4. Cook until bright green and just fork-tender, then remove from heat and add spinach & green onion.
5. Pour into a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender (this is what I used) and blend until smooth. (this soup came out a little more watery than I intended. but I also didn't have a full head of broccoli, maybe a half. so you can either add a half a can less water or just give it a try with a full head of broccoli)

This soup literally took me less than 20 minutes to make. I know this because at 3:40 I was thinking "I should get started on that soup." and at 4:01 I took this picture.




















mmmmmmm!


Oh, and a couple of days ago I made some roasted squash. Too simple to warrant an entire blog post but delicious enough to demand a picture!



















Just an acorn pepper squash, cut in quarters then rubbed in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and baked at 400 (I think) until irresistable. Notice the pools of garlic and olive oil in the centre? yummmmmm. I also roasted the seeds with salt and oil, just like pumpkin seeds, and they were insanely good also. I've got another one so I'm going to make it again tomorrow for my squash-hating man in hopes of conversion ;) Taaaaa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jbirch! It's great to hear from you again and thank you for your sweet compliment! Did you change your blog a whole lot from the last time I saw it? If so, I love it! And because it is an awesome vegan blog, I put you on my vegan blog roll on my right sidebar. Also, let me suggest something you might want to try to increase your traffic. I have joined The Blog Frog and my traffic has increased exponentially, it seems! Just go to http://theblogfrog.com and read about it. It's really easy to sign up and so fun. It has really changed the way I blog. Also, I did a post on increasing traffic a few weeks ago. It's here....

    http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/2009/09/thinking-of-monetizing-your-blog-some.html

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete