Friday, October 2, 2009

Vegan MoFo 2009









So, October is the official Vegan Month of Food, meaning that all vegans are encouraged to stretch their cooking muscle, spread the word about the glory of veganism, etc, and vegan bloggers are encouraged to post as many vegan recipes and tips as possible, aiming for 1 a day, or at least 20 in the month.

I am anxious -- as this is my first october as a budding vegan -- to participate in this event, so here is my first vegan recipe!

This is a favourite soup of mine and one of the first really healthy, vegan dishes I ever prepared, using the nifty little immersion blender I got for either my 19th birthday or the subsequent Christmas, I forget :P


Broccoli & Arugula Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
½ yellow onion, roughly diced
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (about 2/3lb)
2 ½ cups water
¼ tsp each salt and pepper
¾ cup arugula or watercress
½ lemon


1.Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for just a minute or until fragrant. Add the broccoli and cook for four minutes or until bright green.
2.Add water and salt/pepper, bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover.
3.Cook 8 mins or until broccoli is just tender, then pour soup into a food processor/blender with arugula (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth, or until desired consistency is reached (really you can make this soup as smooth or chunky as you like! I've had it a few ways and I promise, it's just as delicious any way you blend it :P)
4.Serve with a bit of fresh lemon.


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment